A regular listing of events taking place around the world for American expatriates.
September 18 – Expat Financial Forum, American Church of Paris
A free, four-hour forum on financial topics for Americans will take place at the American Church of Paris, sponsored by Moneycorp, the currency exchange specialists; Dunhill Financial, and the Adrian Leeds Group. Billed as “all you need to know in order to plan and invest successfully,” the event is scheduled to feature:
* Kimberly Bingham of Private Rate/La Central de Financement, who will talk about financing;
* Brian Dunhill of Dunhill Financial, who will address the U.S. FATCA regulations, and how to arrange one’s financial and estate planning in Europe;
* Mojgan Ghanipour of MG Partners, who, along with Dunhill, will explain how recent changes in French and American tax codes are expected to affect expats;
* Bruno Gruat of Moneycorp, who will explain why a currency broker can offer “a cost-effective and efficient way of exchanging currencies and managing your finances on different continents”;
* Michael Larsen of American Citizens Abroad, who is due to give an update on the campaign to convince U.S. lawmakers to replace the U.S.’s current citizenship-based tax regime with a residence-based system;
* Adrian Leeds of the Adrian Leeds Group, who will address the business of buying a French property.
There will be a break halfway through the event, during which cocktails and snacks will be available, and the event will end with a Q-and-A session.
The American Church of Paris is located at 65 Quai d'Orsay, along the Seine in the 7th arrondissement, with the closest Métro stations being Alma-Marceau and Invalides. Participants must be at least 18; reservations are required, and seating will be limited. To reserve a place, click here.
September 25: American Expats Financial Forum, Brussels
As part of an “Expat Information Fair” being organized by ING Group – the Dutch multinational banking and financial services company – and supported by the American Club of Brussels, this forum for American expatriates has been put together, to help bring Americans resident in Belgium together with a panel of experts. Hosting the event will be Brian Dunhill, founder and chief executive of Brussels-based Dunhill Financial. The event is due to begin at 6pm and run until around 8pm.
For more information, click here.
October 5 (Saturday) – Democrats Abroad United Kingdom's first-ever Tax Day, London
An all day (10:30am - 5pm) event, this Democrats Abroad UK Tax Day is being described by its sponsors as "an all-encompassing event that will feature topics ranging from tax and financial planning to Social Security," with the aim of helping Americans abroad to "understand their tax-filing obligations and the financial complexities that accompany being an American abroad."
Speakers "confirmed so far" include Kristopher Heck, managing partner, Tanager Wealth Management; George King, senior wealth manager, Maseco; Jack Leuchtman, regional federal benefits administrator, Social Security Administration; Susan Shriver, tax consultant and former IRS executive; David Treitel, founder and managing director, American Tax Returns Ltd, and Liz Zitzow, managing director, British American Tax.
The event will take place at David Game College at 31 Jewry Street, near Aldgate High Street, London, EC3N 2ET.
To register (tickets are £40 each, £20 for concessions), click here. A Democrats Abroad spokesperson said ticket sales will be limited by the size of the venue, and early reservations are recommended.
The DAUK says that it is and will be unable to provide individual tax advice, and urges anyone who needs such advice to consult a professional tax adviser, accountant or tax return preparer.